Three Modern Refrigerator Improvements
Available at Universal Appliance and Kitchen Center (UAKC)
It's been several decades since the average American family relied on an “Ice Box” to keep food cold. In fact, most of us have never owned a manual defrost refrigerator. Today, we not only take for granted that we're going to have an appliance that will keep frozen food frozen, and cold food cold, but we also expect our refrigerator to dispense water and ice, all the while using about the same amount of energy as a 60 watt light bulb. Twenty-first century refrigerators are really a credit to remarkable and steady advances in technology. Universal Appliance and Kitchen Center carries all the major refrigerator brands at popular prices as well as the luxury brands. They also carry several of the specialty refrigerator brands.
1. Compressor technology
Today's compressor's are much smaller and run far quieter than the big piston model that would noisily pump away inside the old porcelain lined monster “fridge” of Ozzie and Harriet's day. A variable speed refrigerator compressor in 2014 might run 100% of the time changing speed based on demand for cooling from various sensors, and even factoring in usage patterns.
2. Improved insulation.
Fiberglass blankets have been replaced by blown in polyurethane foam-in-place insulation. Better insulation can not only reduce energy usage, but can also strengthen the refrigerator walls and increase the capacity.
3. Defrost technology.
“Frost-free” refrigerators have been around for decades. Traditionally, a frost free refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle automatically after a certain number of hours of compressor run time. Advanced refrigerators have sensors on the evaporator coils that put the refrigerator into a defrost cycle only when frost build up signals the need for defrosting.
Features and technology do vary among manufacturers and even from model to model. Here are two examples of refrigerators incorporating one or more of these advances:
GE® ENERGY STAR® 28.6 Cu. Ft. French-Door Refrigerator
- Dual icemaker
- An icemaker in both compartments gives you more ice whenever you need it
- 2 adjustable-humidity drawers and 1 full-width adjustable-temperature drawer
- TwinChill™ evaporators
- Separate climates in the fresh food and freezer sections help keep foods fresh
- Showcase LED lighting
ENERGY STAR® Qualified
Meets the ENERGY STAR energy efficiency requirements.
Electrolux 22.6-cu ft Side-by-Side Counter-Depth Refrigerator with Single Ice Maker (Stainless Steel)
Model #: EI23BC35KS
- IQ-Touch™ controls located on the side of the door and displays your options at all times
- Luxury-glide® humidity-controlled crisper drawers smoothly glide out and keep produce fresh with adjustable humidity control and minimal temperature variation
- 9″ tall water/ice dispenser is specially designed to accommodate a variety of large containers, from a 16oz tumbler to a pitcher or a coffee carafe
- Luxury-design® led lighting is as beautiful as it is functional, keeping the contents clearly visible
- Chill zone™ drawer has chilled air vented directly into this luxury-glide® drawer to keep the contents extra cold
- Fast freeze™ freezes food faster to lock in freshness
For more information on high-tech refrigerators or other major appliances or plumbing fixtures call or visit the professionals at Universal Appliance and Kitchen Center today.
Two locations to serve you – Calabasas and Studio City:
All Major Appliances
12050 Ventura Blvd.
26767 Aguora Rd.
Mon-Sat. 9 AM to 6 PM
Sun 11 AM to 6 PM
Category: UAKC News