Smart Appliances at CES
Internet enabled appliances available today at UAKC
LG Home Chat at CES 2014
They've got an APP for that! Each year appliance manufacturer's seem to use the January CES (Consumer Electronics Show) as a launchpad for their latest Jetson Style innovation. This year is no exception.
LG Home Chat allows users to manage their connected appliances and devices with an SMS interface — you'll literally be able to send your refrigerator, washing machine, robot vacuum, or other smart appliance a command or question via text message, then get a response.
It pays to remember that more than a decade ago, it was at the CES that LG launched its $10,000 DIOS internet enabled refrigerator which is no longer being made, and Sun Microsystem's Scott McNealy showed a Whirlpool refrigerator paired with a tablet PC that never made it to market.
Nevertheless, appliance manufacturer's are again sticking their toes into the internet waters hoping that they will not once again receive a chilly response. This time the high tech appliances don't just occupy “dream” space, but are a real part of their appliance lineup.
Dacor Discovery iQ DYO230
Last year Dacor introduced it's internet connected Discovery IQ Oven in a single and double oven version. This week at the CES, Dacor unveiled a similarly enabled 6 burner range with an oven featuring the same Android powered OS.
Here's the wall oven along with a writeup from Dacor highlighting its key features:
With another industry first, Dacor’s Discovery iQTM Wall Oven blends technology and performance to deliver a unique cooking experience. The integrated and intuitive Android™ interface provides home chefs with access to the proprietary Dacor iQ Cooking App. Now even novice chefs can perform at expert levels with a simple swipe of a finger. Easy to use control features such as Guided Cooking, Quick Start and My Modes ensure that favorite dishes are conveniently cooked to perfection.
30″ Double Electric Wall Oven with 4.8 cu. ft. 4-Part Pure Convection Ovens, GreenClean Steam Clean, 10 Cooking Modes, Android OS Control Panel and Cooking Apps
- Exclusive Built-In Electronic Control Panel powered by Google's intuitive Android™ OS is elegantly designed to include a glass touch panel and a 7″ LCD multi touch-screen for enhanced graphics display and simple navigation with the swipe of a finger.
- Dacor's Proprietary Discovery iQ™ Cooking Application is easy to use and is pre-programmed with a variety of cooking options such as:
- Guided Cooking – A pre-programmed guide of popular dishes preset to eliminate the guesswork associated with cooking times.
- Quick Start – Adjusts the temperature and cook time of each oven manually.
- My Modes – Allows the user to program and store custom cooking presets.
- Dehydrate Mode – An easy and efficient way to dehydrate raw whole fresh foods, preserving the natural nutritional value and taste without using artificial preservatives.
- Integrated WiFi Connectivity offers a convenient way to update the iQ application and access the internet including other third party applications available through the Google® Play Store.
- Bluetooth® Technology allows for a wireless connection between Bluetooth enabled devices.
At last year's Builder Show, GE Appliances introduced their new wall oven featuring their Brillion™ – Enabled wireless control from a smartphone. Here's what GE has to say about the Brillion™ App and the oven that it controls.
Turn your smart phone into a remote control for your GE Brillion-enabled appliances! Get the GE Brillion app for your Android or iPhone, and you’ll be able to change appliance settings, keep an eye on your appliance status and cycles, and get maintenance alerts—all from your mobile device!
App works only with GE’s Brillion-enabled appliances.
GE Profile™ Series 30″ Built-In Double Convection Wall Oven Features
- Ten-Pass Dual Broil Element (Both Ovens)
- Large and small dishes brown evenly with two, full-coverage elements
- Self-Clean Heavy-Duty Roller Rack
- Easily access items with a rack that glides smoothly
- Progressive Halogen Oven Lighting
- See what you’re baking with lights that slowly illuminate the oven
- Self-Clean with Steam Clean Option (Both Ovens)
- Clean your oven the way you want
- Glass Touch Controls
- Set temperatures quickly and clean with little effort
For all your appliance and plumbing fixture needs consult the professionals at Universal Appliance and Kitchen Center .
Two locations to serve you – Calabasas and Studio City:
Category: UAKC News