Valentine Drinks: Cosmopolitans two ways
Cosmopolitan Cocktail or Champagne Cosmopolitan
I love Martinis. For Valentine’s Day I’d happily choose a pink version of the Martini – The Cosmopolitan. But, my wife would prefer a Champagne Cosmopolitan. Which version do you think we’ll be drinking?
Here’s my favorite recipe for a Cosmopolitan:
- 8 ounces (1 cup) vodka
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) triple sec or cointreau
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) cranberry juice cocktail
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 large or 2 small lemons)
- 4 2-inch lemon peels/twists
Pour all ingredients except lemon peels into a pitcher.
Fill a large cocktail shaker 1/4 full with ice. Pour approximately 1/2 of the mixture (two servings) into the shaker. Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds. It’s important to have a well-chilled drink. Then strain into martini glasses and add lemon twist garnish.
Note: I like to chill my glasses. I put them in the freezer or stick them in an ice bucket ahead of time.
Here’s my wife’s favorite Valentine’s drink, the Champagne Cosmopolitan:
- 8 ounces Cointreau or Triple Sec (Grand Marnier will also do nicely)
- 8 ounces cranberry juice cocktail
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fine or extrafine granulated sugar
- 4 cups chilled Champagne or other sparkling wine
Stir together Cointreau, juices, and sugar and chill, covered, 2 to 6 hours.
Fill 2/3 of champagne flutes with the mixture, and top off with Champagne to serve.
Choose your favorite and enjoy a special Valentine’s Day.
When it comes to appliances or plumbing fixtures be sure to choose everyone’s favorite Universal Appliance and Kitchen Center.